arrow is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community space in athens, georgia for families of young children to gather, play and learn from one another.
arrow offers classes and workshops for children, parents, & parents-to-be that are rooted in the belief that young children learn through play and exploring the creative arts.
founded in february 2010, arrow was founded by two moms who wanted to create a community space for their young children. nestled in the same building as one of athens' most beloved bakeries, big city cafe, arrow's playspace is filled with lots of natural light, creative playthings, and there is even a family-built garden spot for outdoor play.
inspired by waldorf and reggio emilia, arrow embraces the natural, the simple, the elemental, the handmade, the nurturing, and the healthful. by having a small selection of open-ended playthings, we have seen the children's imaginations open. by offering art & music to the children we have seen them smile. by watching parents learn from each other, we have watched a community grow.
in 2011, arrow became a non-profit organization, first as an incubator program under a local non-profit, and then as our own independent 501(c)(3) in march 2015.
In june 2012, rachel sleppy was brought on as our new executive director. rachel received her b.f.a. from the savannah college of art & design and has served on both the lyndon house arts foundation & athens-clarke heritage foundation boards and currently resides in athens with her husband bob & their daughter, finley. rachel works closely with co-founder rinne allen to further arrow's mission to help create a creative community for the families of athens.
what makes us unique?
* offerings that cater to all members of the family, from prenatal support to continuing education workshops for parents
* low caregiver to child ratio in our childcare offerings. our ratio is typically 1:4.
* small class sizes mean more individual attention for your child. our class maximum is 8 children.
* an emphasis on different educational philosophies that encourage students to appreciate their natural & cultural world, while developing curiosity and imagination
* collaborative partnerships with other local artists, organizations & businesses foster our dedication to our community
* our urban neighborhood setting presents unique opportunities: walkable field trips to local restaurants, urban community gardens & nearby historic properties
*please learn more about arrow by visiting our blog, reading our various offerings, or by contacting us. thank you for visiting.