our friend lily kaplan has begun a summer series of fun with food workshops for the little ones.
yesterday was our first one:
making ice cream!
- 1lb coffee can
- 2-3lb coffee cans*
*(the cans need to be metal for the cold factor, but plastic lids are great! i was able to find kroger brand still does metal! everyone else has gone plastic...)
- 1 pint half and half
- 1/3 c sugar
- vanilla bean
- rock salt
- duct tape
- any other toppings or fun flavors...it might be fun to crush up ginger snaps or cookies or add fresh fruit!
- pour cream and sugar into smaller can, seal, and duct tape...
- place in the larger metal can, fill with ice and rock salt alternatively, seal, and duct tape...
- kick or roll the can for 10 minutes!
- open the larger can and pour out water
- open the smaller can and scrape ice cream off of sides and give a good stir. now is a good time to add any flavors like vanilla bean, fruit, or crushed cookies...
- replace lid on smaller and seal again with duct tape. place inside large can, add more ice and salt, and reseal with lid and duct tape.
- roll another 10 minutes...
- unwrap everything and enjoy!